Sunday 27 June 2010

'Smoked' Trout, Caballa a la Plancha

Man is it hot today! Which really I think is terrible BBQ weather, I mean, you're hot, getting sunburned out in your garden, and you've got to mess about with a load of fire as well. I've been known to barbecue in October under an umbrella, or at Christmas time, wearing a big thick jumper. That's the time to go for it with some white hot coals. Not when it's so hot that you feel yourself melting and you absolutely don't want to eat a thing.
Anyway, the new next door neighbours have put up a pretty high fence between our gardens which means no more borrowing a cup of sugar, and also not too much sun in our back yard. This recipe is from a book I bought in a charity shop near my office, entitled optimistically 'Creme de Colorado' hahahahahaha, right? Apparently no, despite having a rather odd premise, and being published in the 80s, this book has a bizzare cult following on Amazon, it is 'never fail' and 'sure to impress'.
So here we go, this marinade is for smoked trout, but I suppose that it would work just as well on the old barbie.
I don't really know that much about Colorado, other than what I saw in Cannibal! The Musical, but for a state populated entirely by cannibals, this book is surprisingly fish heavy... You know, when somebody makes a joke, you're supposed to laugh. Anyway, here we go.
There's a lot of garlic and parsley in this recipe, you basically brine the fish for a few hours and then it's ready for the smoker/ whatever.
I'm also making mackerel today, a very simple recipe from this Tapas book I've used before, just rub it with some garlic, oil, and paprika and leave for a few hours.
OK, party time!

We poured some of the brine over the coals to produce a bit of smoke, but they only needed a few minutes on each side.
Result: The trout tastes trouty. The Boyfriend used to have a thing against fresh water fish, it tends to taste kind of muddy, and earthy. I personally can't stand carp, it's big in Eastern Europe but the taste is just too strong for me. I've never had that kind of problem with trout, until now. These were pretty big, or maybe the brine accentuated the flavour. But maybe I'm just nitpicking because the mackerel was so much better by comparison! (might brine overnight the next time)
Mackerel can be a little bitter sometimes, but this was amazingly sweet and juicy. I was hoping to take some to work the next day but there was nothing left!
Boo to burgers and save the steak for Santa, BBQ fish is where it's at.

No comments:

Post a Comment