Tuesday 17 July 2012

Double Cheeseburger with Pickled Onions

I'm renewing my commitment to put to use all the silly, gimicky cookbooks I pick up a the charity shops by the arm load. ALL the silly cookbooks, which brings us to the I Love Elvis Cookbook.
I'm not sure a cookbook inspired by a man who died eating a sandwich on the toilet is the best tribute, but then I'm not morbid like that. I am morbid enough to notice the lack of a recipe for this disgusting thing.
Here's an Amazon review of this book, in case you're on the fence about getting yourself a copy.
Thrilling.
The best part of this recipe are the pickled onions, which are thin slices of red onion left in sugar and vinegar overnight. These were great and I sprinkled the leftovers in a salad the next day.
The burger itself is two patties of seasoned beef squashed together over a couple of pieces of cheddar to make one fat wad of meat, which you grill and place in (home made) buns. Also, this cooking method invites the hot beef fat to splatter the heating element of your oven, meaning that when you try and bake some cookies the next day they will come out tasting and smelling like meat. That's what is know as a twofer.
A single sad leaf of lettuce and sprig of parsley are the garnishes.
This was ok, but not as delicious as going out for a burger. Personally I like my beef cooked medium rare and in order to do that safely you either have to grind your own meat, which is time consuming and messy, or go to a good burger place, which is fun and enjoyable. What would Elvis do?

No comments:

Post a Comment