Monday 28 December 2009

Roti de Cabillaud a la Sauge

Back at my place, I decided to try something out of Stephane Reynaud's Rotis for our own Christmas roast. I've been getting overexcited about this book ever since I was in Borders last week and put a copy under my coat and ran off with it down the street laughing manically the whole way... Of course not! I got if for half price, which practically felt like theft.
I love the way this book is laid out, there is one page entitled How Would You Like Your Roast Beef Cooked? the options are Rare, Medium, and Very Rare! What if I like it Medium/Well? Tough tits. Here are also suggestions for the most appropriate meat to roast each day - Monday is beef, Tuesday is veal, Wednesday is poultry, Thursday is pork, Friday is fish (lets not forget that France is a Catholic country! I love that scene in Heaven Know Mr. Allison where Robert Mitchum tells Deborah Kerr that Catholics in the Navy get called Mackerel Snappers on that account - ouch! Your mum.), Saturday is lamb, Sunday lunch is game and Sunday dinner is all the leftovers. I wonder how long I would have to be on this diet before I developed gout, but wouldn't be able to roll out of bed to go to the doctor because of how fat I'd gotten. Anyway, everything in moderation.
Here's a fun fact about sage, I've never really cooked with it but I know it's got a sort of medicinal smell and flavour, well apparently it's recently been illegalized in Russia because people have been making psychotropic drugs out of it! And here was I dropping acid when all along I had the thing right in my fridge! Well not quite, I had to go to 4 different supermarkets and a greengrocer to find my little bunch, not sure if there's a connection. It was the same story when I was trying to find a hit of, I mean purchase, chanterelle mushrooms, I could only score 100g and had to bulk it up with oysters and shitakes (that's street slang for 'all mushrooms taste the same anyway').
Would anyone eat swede if it was know universally as rutabaga? Once cooked they look almost like nice chips, but a closer look reveals their true fiborous nature. You lay the parboiled faux-chips and sauteed mushrooms in a baking tray, along with 12 leaves of the illicit herb and spring onions, and place lightly seared cod filles on top. I know it's pretty unethical to be eating cod, but to be honest we were all suffering from salmon ennui, and this is the only sizeable alternative the fishmonger could offer us. And also, cod tastes really really good. I bought an entire one, managed to just about fillet it myself and made stock out of the bones to make myself look really economical.
Result: Maybe you can just about see peeping out from the corner the swede and remains of mushrooms. Well the cod was gorgeous, it melted in the mouth but was still firm and juicy, the mushrooms were rubbery and bitter (undercooked, you idiot!), and the biggest complaint in regard to the swede was that I hadn't done anything to disguise it's natural flavour and it positively reeked of swede. Well that's it, thank God there was pudding for pudding, otherwise it might safely be said that I had RUINED CHRISTMAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment