Tuesday 21 September 2010

Uha

Well I'm back from Moscow now, and moved into my new flat (!) so I'll try and get all the old stuff out of the way before I regale you with fascinating accounts of eating beans out of a can - that's all I'll be able to afford to do for the next couple of months.
Anyway, Uha is a simple fisherman's broth made with fish heads and anything else you have on hand (or in sink), kind of like a stock really.
I kept the sturgeon's head and tail and boiled it up with an onion and a potato for a couple of hours, if you have a bay leaf throw that in too, if you want to. The result is a thin, cloudy broth, but the taste is rich and very satisfying. The amazing thing about sturgeon is that it has no bones, it's all muscle/flesh and cartilage, no scales and the flavour is earthy, meaty and fresh at the same time. Best fish head to make soup out of, but just look at that photo. I'm going to have a new tag to attach to posts that feature something that looks like something else, if you get my drift. I think I've managed to produce the most unappetising food post in the world today.
By the way, no internet in the new place yet, so now I have an excuse for being so slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment