Tuesday 14 December 2010

Guacamole


I bought this book ages ago because I heard that there was an interesting recipe for vinegar in it, including how to make and cultivate a 'mother', which I wanted to try. But unfortunately there are 500 other pages of recipes in this book as well, each one using a bazillion different ingredients which are not native to this country and impossible to find. Well, we'll see about that when my general masochism reaches the next level, but for now lets make do with a nice simple guacamole.
There was some kind of buzz over the summer about some supermarket guacs having no avocado in them whatsoever, which is in equal measure pretty disgusting and quite incredible. How, I wondered, did they manage to compile a collection of chemicals to taste so authentic? The answer is that I apparently had no idea what guacamole is made out of. I mean I'm telling you, it's not just avocado and salt!
The lovely piggy molcajete is the traditional tool for making and serving the guac and I can see why, while it grinds the base ingredients very efficiently, they're not quite rendered into complete mush.
Result:
Lovely! At the risk of sounding redundant, mmmmm it's really fresh. Spicy but mild and cooling at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Boyfriend comment... Very tasty! As were the fajitas made with it.

    ReplyDelete