Friday 9 September 2011

Chervil


I'm adding a new tag just for this post because this is something I hope to write more about. The house the boyfriend and I have has a crazy overgrown garden that i'm hoping to make manageable by next spring so the I can start growing stuff for us to eat, learn to photograph is properly and obviously rub it in everyone's face.
Stuff grows there already, things my parents planted, but I haven't been disciplined enough to cultivate it so a lot, a lot of it is going to waste or being neglected. We have a very enthusiastic apple tree which produces sweet delicious eating apples, but the most advantage we were able to take of it was a few jars of jam the boyfriend's mum made and this vegan apple cake (very good).
There is a cherry tree which my dad pillaged, mutant bay bush, grapes that won't ripen because of the cold and a lawn of mint that I unsuccessfully tried to make into ice cream. Better luck next year, loser.
Anyway, this is obviously everyone else's fault, and I'm starting from scratch.
The herb I most want to cultivate is chervil. You never really see chervil for sale anywhere so if you want to use it the only option you have is to grow if yourself. Thankfully it's quite easy to do, and grows almost like a weed. It's a very savoury, almost bitter taste. I think it's grown up, the boyfriend thinks it tastes like grass
The reason I want chervil is to make the almost forgotter Duroc sauce for a dinner party, but there is also a Raymond Blanc recipe for vegetable and cheril soup in the Salute to Cooking charity cookbook I was using last week. And if you're really desperate for some chervil I have bought it in Selfidges Food Hall for the extraordinary price of £2.50 a bag in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment