Monday 5 September 2011

Congolese Chilli Peanut Chicken

Oh dear, moving house, settling in at work, couple of holidays, all that stuff.
I'm back in the saddle though, for the last couple of months I've been reading a lot of exciting recipes and definitely realised how calming and enjoyable cooking is for me. Yes, it looks like I'm stressed out when I'm chasing the boyfriend out of the kitchen with a knife, or setting my hand on fire, but no, it's very calming.

The area around my new office is very picturesque, posho yummy mummy territory and has an insane concentration of charity shops. Last week I had some kind of crisis and ended up buying six cookbook for about £20, a very good deal I think, all almost new and one with an RRP of £45. More about that later, the one I'm really excited about is this
About a year ago I got into some kind of a charity cookbook frenzy and decided that I really wanted this title. Lets face reality, nobody is going to learn how to cook by reading cookbooks. You probably Google a recipe or your mum teaches you how or you force yourself to learn by trial and error somehow. Cookbooks are fun with pretty pictures, and in the case of charity cookbooks you get 'celebrities' throwing their pearls of wisdom before us swine. I'm planning on making a couple of things from this book, but lets start with something easy.

When I was younger I used to watch a lot of Changing Rooms, it was so retarded but I didn't know any better. Basically a pair of neighbours or friends or whatever would pick a room in their house and allow a 'designer' to redecorate it overnight. The priority was always on doing some kind of weird paint effect on the walls and ruining the room as irreversibly as possible. The homeowners would be asked if there as one feature they would like to keep in the original room, and that was always the first thing that was ripped out or painted.
Anyway, one of the designers was Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.
I thought for sure he was gay, the Little Lord Fountleroy outfits were only the first clue. I'm not prejudiced, this was just something so absolutely apparent from his appearance and mannerisms that it never even occured to me that there was a possibility he wasn't.
And then I saw his wife on TV, a chubby, sexy blond. I'm telling you, this rocked my world. I had a very sheltered childhood.
And this is her recipe, based on the food that she used to have when she lived in Congo as a child. It's very simple, onions, chillies, chicken, tomatoes and peanut butter. The peanut butter, of which there are two jars, is not in the ingredients list. A simple mistake to make, but very annoying. And two jars? I used one jar only and this is the result
A pot of bubbling molten lava, with a thick sheen of melted peanut oil on top. The taste is ok, but not amazeballs, and I can think of a better way of getting 1200 calories into my system.

No comments:

Post a Comment