Monday 27 February 2012

Carrot Broth

Well it's the end of the month and I don't have any money to spend on fancy things like eggs or parsley, so today's soup is made from the junk at the bottom of my vegetable drawer.
I'm actually really really pleased to have this book, it's a little photocopied collection of recipes from a cookware 'club' which sold pots and pans to housewives, dated April 1977. There's a preface, introducing the club ethos, all about how nutrients are lost if you cook things with the lid off or boil veg in water, so all of the equipment sold is cast aluminium wooo and has tight fitting lids ahhhhh.
If I was a housewife and had nothing to do during the day while my husband was at work, I would go to a club like this to meet other women and buy frying pans. I wouldn't have any friends because we'd just moved to this neighbourhood, in the suburbs, and after I've made him breakfast in the morning and tidied the lounge I would have 4 or 5 hours free before I had to start making dinner (not this soup, my man likes a real meal). We got all sorts of useful things as wedding presents, so I don't really need the casserole dishes and frying pans with domed, well fitting lids that the Club sells, but it's nice to feel a part of it all. Hmmm, one day.
This is the recipe, so basic, so beautiful. Season with seasoning. I used ham stock because I was extra hungry today.
Believe it or not, a soup made with onion and carrot is very sweet, but nice. It's not blended, rustic and hearty. Next time I would add a bayleaf, celery, something savoury.

No comments:

Post a Comment