Wednesday 25 April 2012

Crocked Tortillas with Chicken and Beans

I'm ill so I have time for all kinds of crap at the moment. Just for fun (FOR FUN!!) I decided to compare some of my charity cookbooks. What's the name for a really boring fetish? That's what I have for charity cookbooks. They're like a preserved moment in time, sometimes a badly thought out moment, and you can usually find them in a charity shop. I've bought brand new full price ones in the past (like East Eats) but you don't really see them very often.
They almost always recruit the same hoard of high profilers to pad these out. If I wanted to I could make a three course meal out of the Tony Blair recipes. I have a lot of spare time at the moment so I'm imagining some intern opening up the post at 10 Downing Street and receiving hundreds of requests for recipes, and then what? passing these on to the chef? The press secretary? Making something up themselves?

Today's recipe is from Help for Heroes, which invites each contributor to introduce their own personal hero. This is what sets this book apart from others and makes it an entertaining read. One poor chap's hero is Jonny Wilkinson, his recipe for a hearty pasta is dedicated to him. A few pages later, just like the Missed Connections section of Craigslist, there's Jonny himself with a recipe for chicken salad, saying he doesn't eat carbs.
Dave Grohl is someone's hero. Probably because he's so brave? This is nestled between Ghandi and Martin Luther King, so seems legit.


This chicken and (baked) bean thing tastes exactly how you would expect. It's the kind of ridiculous food you get a craving for when you're sick and the opposite of what you should really be eating, also, you probably have the ingredients for this in your house already.

No comments:

Post a Comment