Saturday 21 April 2012

Spicy Azorean Garlic Roasted Pork and Tomato Rice

Never never plan for more than a day in advance, because things will always go wrong. That's my new mantra. OK its not exactly catchy or anything but I have a temperature and I can barely keep my eyes open and it's the best I can do.
Thursday was the boyfriend's birthday, I asked him what he wanted for his special big boy meal and my handsome eloquent man asked for 'pork'. This spicy shoulder of pork from the New Portuguese Table calls for half a pound of chillies to 4 pounds of pork, does that sound excessive? It probably is. I say probably because he loved it and I drank a glass of milk. On the Nando's scale it would be Hot.
The book suggests serving this with Tomato Rice, which I also made. It's too sweet to eat by itself, but complements the heat of the pork nicely.
Now, here is the only picture I took on the night, its the baking dish full of the deadly 'gravy' I didn't dare serve. The reason for this lackluster photojournalism is that I came home feeling kind of OK, and as I went through transferring the pork out of it's marinade to the oven, preparing the rice and setting the table I got more and more headachy and feverish. I'd taken Friday off work in anticipation of the hangover I was going to be suffering from after the planned night of champagne drinking and cake eating. Instead I barely made it through dinner and went to bed at 9:30.
So here I am on a nice sunny Saturday, sitting in my pajamas watching the Eden channel and reading blogs. The boyfriend has gone off to watch football. Happy birthday. Do I sound bitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment