Tuesday 15 May 2012

Quiche

I wasn't going to post this because it's so boring. I made a quiche - woo hoo, lets have a parade.
I made a quiche to use up a bunch of slimy mushrooms and to take for lunch at work (really economizing here, must have saved myself at least £5).
On the previous two whole times that I've made a quiche I always used shop bought pastry, but since it's basically butter and flour I decided that even I couldn't mess it up. The recipe I used is from I Know How to Cook, which is a book I hate quoting because of the silly title.

Slightly annoying that the recipe doesn't tell you that the longer you handle the pastry the more gluten will develop and the tougher it will be. I barely combined all the ingredients, the resultant pastry is very 'short', by which I mean flaky and crumbly, almost like thin shortbread - and absolutely delicious. This is why I'm posting an ugly photograph and an update about quiche, because it's simply too good. I'll never buy shortcrust pastry again, because while this is definitely a little too full of butter, pastry is never going to be part of any diet food anyway, so you might as well have your unhealthy food be delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment