Sunday 13 May 2012

Sausage with Sauerkraut, Quick Rolls

I found a new bread recipe to make me forget the nightmares Nordic Bakery's 'rye bread' induced last week.
It's available online so I don't feel guilty about publishing the recipe. Delia, say what you want but she know what she's doing.
I made the roast Sausage with Sauerkraut from Nigella Express to use up the jar and a half of sauerkraut my dad gave me a couple of months ago. He makes amazing sauerkraut and is very generous, but there is only so much of it you can eat 'straight'. You tip the kraut into a baking dish, sprinkle with slivers of onion and juniper berries (I used dill seeds), rest the sausages on top and drown the whole thing with German white wine.
While that was cooking I made ketchup and prepared the dough for the bread rolls.
Here's the thing about ketchup, the reason you should probably never bother making it yourself - everyone likes the ketchup they grew up with, so if your parents always bough Heinz, or Tesco own brand or whatever, you'll prefer the idiosyncrasies of that brand. It's true! Ketchup loyalty runs deep.
I actually didn't grow up eating ketchup, I was always a mayonnaise girl, so I haven't been spoiled forever and can make passable stuff for myself. In fact the boyfriend doesn't like to have it in the house because it makes him go off on one about how much sugar is hidden in EVERYTHING these days.
This is actually how idyllic our relationship is, we have nothing bigger than to argue about than condiments. Sweet, or sad?
Here's how I make ketchup for myself - pour a certain amount of tomato puree into a pan, add however much brown sugar, salt, pepper, malt vinegar and celery seeds as you like and cook on low for 20 minutes.

Here's the incredible roll recipe that takes less than 1 hour to make. I adapted it from this to make 4 small rolls.

225g bread flour
1 tsp salt
145ml hot water from the tap
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp fast action yeast
1 tsp butter

Mix the sugar and yeast into the water in a jug. Mix the salt into the flour and rub in the butter, pour in the water and mix into a ball, Knead the dough on a flat surface for about five minutes then shape into four rolls and leave covered in a warm place for 35 minutes. Start heating the oven at 220C.
When the rolls have risen sprinkle with flour and bake on a high shelf for 20-25 minutes.

The rolls are a little denser than hot dog rolls, but they still make amazing hot dogs. Very amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment