Wednesday 15 August 2012

Paneer and Vegetable Curry

The boyfriend and I went to a Hindu wedding a couple of months ago and were fed  the best Indian vegetarian food I have ever had. I came away with a craving for Paneer, the firm, non melty Indian cheese, which luckily a lot of supermarkets sell now. The incredible Pakistani restaurant near our house makes their own and it's sublime, I normally love a challenge but I'm a few steps away from that at the moment.
There was a surprising dearth of paneer recipes in my all my curry cookbooks, in fact the only two I found were in Keith Floyd's book of curries. I went for the more substantial Paneer and Vegetable Currry, and should have listened to my misgivings when I realised that the only vegetable called for was peas.
Mummy's very angry and doesn't want to look at you at the moment!
Why must I continually write 'bland as balls' next to all of my recipes?

2 comments:

  1. Home made paneer is not very hard to make, honest, and has a different texture to shop bought, perhaps because home cooks don't press it quite as hard as manufacturers do? I like both textures, actually.
    My mum has a family cookbook website with lots and lots of paneer recipes, if you'd like to visit, it's called Mamta's Kitchen. I won't link here, as that would be spammy.
    The recipe on making paneer is on there too.
    I love a recipe called Shahi Paneer, which unlike most of mum's recipes, uses a ready-mixed spice blend. Is very simple and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kavey, thank you so much! I will definitely be doing this, and I love getting a new blog in my feed x

    ReplyDelete