Monday 13 August 2012

Tentacles of Surrealism

So for the last three weeks I've been manically preparing for the Alternative Press Fair, because lets face it, it's only fun to do things when you give yourself an impossible deadline and have to shun all social interaction in order to research, write and illustrate a whole freaking book (booklet).
The fair was pretty cool, I'm not really in the 'scene' so the organizer very kindly put me on a table next to my friend David Greene. I remember when I first started going to zine fairs and felt really out of place with my little comic book, but in this environment I felt comfortable enough to come out of the closet and let everyone know that my sexual preference is cookbooks. Here's my little baby, a book of recipes by or based on the Surrealists.

Someone very interesting came up to talk to me, and something very exciting happened, but I don't want to jinx it by saying anything yet.
One of the recipes in the book is from Carolyn Burke's Biography of Lee Miller, Coca Cola and Marshmallow Ice Cream. I'm totally obsessed with Lee Miller, she's what started me on the idea of doing a whole book of surrealist food.
The ice cream, by the way, is very nice and easier than the usual humiliation that I go thorough with my Fisher-Price-esque ice cream maker. It tastes exactly like coca cola, and if you substitute Coke Zero, sugar free marshmallows and single cream in this recipe, it's practically good for you.
While doing research for the book I discovered that there is already a Lee Miller cookbook in the works written by her son Anthony Penrose and friend Johnny Scott, the PR for this thing is terrible, as far as I can tell it'll be out in 2012, or 2013, or whatever, but I can barely wait!!!
And now to bring this thing full circle, yesterday my dad and brother came round and I made them roast rib of beef from Sunday Lunch, the book Johnny Scott co-wrote with Clarissa Dickson Wright. Gooood, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment