Tuesday 9 March 2010

Duck Prosciutto Update - Result

OK, I came home very late, cos you know, Tuesday is the new Friday, just say thank you I came home at all! My one goal before collapsing in bed for a refreshing four hour nap was to take down the duck prosciutto and finally unwrap and taste my home made delicacy. Here's what the breasts looked like.
I could tell right away that I used too much pepper, the smell really hit me in the face when I peeled back the muslin and was almost enough to sober me up.
One of the problems of not having a dedicated curing chamber that is mentioned in the book and on various blogs is that if the humidity levels aren't controlled there is a risk of the outside drying out faster than the center. This may have very well happened, but beats me if I can tell properly! The outside has turned into a firm dark crust that began crumbling when I started cutting in to it on the bias like the book suggests. The inside is a lighter softer pink, but not altogether squishy and raw.
The first piece I tried was almost entirely pepper, like a salt and pepper flavoured Kettle chip. The crust was hard and chewy like jerky but that may have had something to do with the fact that I didn't slice it thinly enough. The second piece was duck, all duck with it's gamey, rich, meaty flavour. I'm not sure if this is what the final product is supposed to taste like, but in order to eat this you really need to like duck. I thought I did! In Chinese restaurants and cooked properly this is usually a treat, but the almost raw flavour of whatever product I ended up with was pretty challenging. I'll try and find a recipe to use it up, or someone to feed it to, I guess. Goodnight.

1 comment: