Wednesday 3 March 2010

Duck Prosciutto Update



Ok well yeah I know it's a Tuesday, but I still think I should make a point of telling you that instead of going out to have a crazy good time tonight (on a school night!) I dutifully went home to hang up the duck prosciutto. Square!
So this is what it looks like fresh out of the salt tomb:
To be honest I'm not convinced... The book says that they're meant to be firm but only the flesh side is, the fat is still pretty malleable. Apparently this method is as fool proof as it gets, well, let me just say, no offence, but those guys really didn't have any idea what kind of an extra fool they were dealing with. Sorry Ruhlman.
Oh an by the way, what's white pepper? I always thought it was one of those things at the back of your cupboard reserved for throwing in the eyes of burglars...
I tied the breasts up in the most Gwyneth-Paltrow/Sheakspear-In-Love way I could manage and hung them up in the spare room. Out of all the contestants, attic, space under the stairs, garage, the spare room finally won by sheer merit of being the most convenient for my layzeeass to access.
According to my bullshit-o-meter the temperature is perfect once I open the window, but the humidity is around 10% too low (I call it the bullshit-o-meter because I still don't completely trust a machine that only springs into action once you shake it. Snowglobe technology went out, man)
OK, those things look totally like Strange Fruit Hanging From The Poplar Trees, I gagged in my mouth a little when I was hanging them up. The big blue dish is full of the salt I used in the curing, dissolved in water, I read somewhere that this helps to increase humidity. The trick is to apparently keep adding salt until it won't dissolve anymore. If it's too dry, the outside dries and the inside rots. Who's hungry after that?

1 comment:

  1. 'the boyfriend'10 March 2010 at 18:08

    White pepper is slang for crack with MDMA... Only joking. I think it's normal, common all garden pepper corns that have been ground without the dark husk. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete