Tuesday 1 March 2011

The un-erotic story of U: Part one - Ugro Soup

All I can say is that I got very very drunk, and I don't even want to tell you what happened to my camera. Urgh, I really actually need to erase that mental image...

Anyway, here we go.
Our magical story starts a few weeks ago and involves a lot of Google-fu, trips to random food shops and stress, stress, stress.
I've hit every single charity shop near my house and office looking for nice random crockery, but still ended up purchasing most of the extra soup bowls or whatever from Zara Home. I found a revolting rotten chair in the street, and me and my brother spent an entire Saturday sanding and re-upholstering it
Well anyway, this isn't a DIY show. Had to borrow 3 chairs too. These are the menus -
Good old Uccello and Uglow and Utrillo too, I went to three different galleries to pick up the postcards - had to cancel date night because Friday is when the National and Tate Modern are open late - the ol' bf wasn't very happy about that. Someone might have called someone obsessive and someone else might have called them a big stupid dumb ugly gorilla back. I don't know who these people are, I just went to the check out and paid for my postcards! YouknowwhatImsayin'?
Also, clock the totally awesome 'umbrella' table cloth. Maybe I am a little obsessive.
The first thing on my list was Ugro, a Tajik lamb soup made with noodles and meatballs. Long story short, I didn't take a picture, but my version was basically 'minimalist' if that's what you want to call it? It had no noodles or peas or potatoes, just meatballs and cubes of carrot. I bought a shoulder of lamb, cut the meat off of it (got a picture of that)
boiled it up with onions, garlic, bayleaf and sumac to a thick broth, ground the meat and made that into meatballs.
Honestly, trust me when I say this, there is no way to have a letter 'U' themed evening unless you have a meat grinder.
End of part one.

No comments:

Post a Comment