Tuesday 6 April 2010

Bresaola Result

I went to Hastings for the Easter weekend and left the bresaola hanging for a few days longer than I was supposed to. Well, I figured after five weeks one day wouldn't make much of a difference, right?
Wrong. Look at this thing, you can hammer in nails with it! It's so hard and dry I had a really hard time cutting in to it. And to think, the whole time I was fretting that it was way too humid and it wouldn't dry properly! The temperature in the little fridge was really easy to control, but the only way to decrease the humidity was to open the door and air it out once a day. In the end this method is way too DIY, you can't really control anything.
The taste is actually not bad, like well seasoned jerky or something.First of all it's not the delicate pink hue that it would be commercially (because I didn't use any sodium nitrate in the cure) which doesn't affect the taste, but my perception of what it will taste like. It tastes a lot gamier than I would imagine beef would, and doesn't have the melt in your mouth quality that I had expected but is not bad. Well, it's pretty bad. I think if I had bought this in a shop, for real money, I would be a bit disappointed. But like a mangy old family dog, I love this because it's my own. Mmmm, bet that image has got everyone drooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment