Tuesday 6 April 2010

Chocolate Sorbet

I'm planning a very elaborate dinner part in a few weeks, all the food is going to be black! I got the idea from a book some dude I went to school with recommended and the concept fits in perfectly with my show-off, arsy personality ;)
I'd never heard of a chocolate sorbet until I saw a mention on David Lebovitz's site. Actually, there was a line about it in Bret Easton Ellis's 'American Psycho', but that was meant as a ridiculous joke. I'm not the biggest fan of milk because it leaves this weird coating all over your mouth, and made with dark chocolate this would totally be black and completely unexpected (I think at least a couple of the people I'm inviting are convinced that black food is going to be burnt food... I might have to resort to that, lets see how this goes).
Lindt also makes 90% cocoa dark chocolate, but I couldn't find any. I bought a brand new ice cream maker just for this dinner party, so if this doesn't work and I have to boil some prune pudding for dessert instead, you're all dead!
Result: Well that's a funny shade of black! The taste is pretty good, but the texture and color are a bit off. There is a grittiness from the cocoa powder which I don't really like but nobody else in my tasting panel noticed. And I will try adding some black sesame seed paste or blackcurrant to adjust the color. Hopefully that will work on the first try, because I don't know how much ice cream I can eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment