Wednesday 14 April 2010

Inspiration for the Black Dinner

Some dude I went to school with turned me on to A Rebours by Huysmans and mentioned that his friends' parents used to host black dinners. Not dinner in the dark, not horrible burnt food, but elaborate, well researched dinner parties for their literary friends. Here is the paragraph that mentions this, it's at the beginning of the book and only serves to draw the protagonist as a spoilt, bored eccentric.
Spoilt, bored, eccentric? Me me me! (and someone else, here's somebody who manages to make it look easy http://marmitelover.blogspot.com/2010/03/midnight-feast.html)
I'm still thinking of the menu, waiting to hear back from a butcher about something very exotic, and a greengrocer about something a bit dirty...

2 comments:

  1. an exotic butcher and a dirty greengrocer in a room...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, liver, fava beans and a nice Chianti?

    ReplyDelete