Wednesday 7 April 2010

Pear-Caramel Ice Cream


Regardless of what I said about milk product in my previous post, I'm still a girl and ice cream is ice cream! Well actually I still had a pint of double cream left over from making the kulich, but this had pears in it which cancel the fat out. I'm not a scientist or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works...
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that everyone knows what a scoop of ice cream looks like, so here's a picture of the the apparatus hard a work. It's doing this sound - brrrrrrmmmmmmbrrrrrrrrmmmmmmm
Result: OMG, this is so good! Pear is a much underused fruit, so there is no way to really describe the taste. It's sweet and creamy, but not cloying or heavy, like apple pie with custard, almost - but one that you could eat an infinite amount of. It's very tempting to say that this recipe is worth the price of the book, but this recipe is available for free online. I really appreciate Lebovitz's attitude towards sharing his recipes. Annoyingly he's living it up in fancy pants Paris for most of the year, and like crumbs from the king's table, he's seen fit to dish out a few pearls of wisdom to us great unwashed! No, that's not it at all, his style makes him seem so open and approachable that even if all of the recipes are out there already I would still buy the book, read the preface, look at the pictures, and make notes.
As for the ice cream maker, no, I definitely shouldn't have bought that. Might have to start bouncing my butterball butt to a gym...

No comments:

Post a Comment