Monday 3 January 2011

Duck and Marmalade Turnovers and Ginger Hearts


Today is the first day of the rest of the week and I am beginning my new little game of cooking from one cookbook exclusively for a couple of weeks. The first book I've selected is my most recent purchase, the Marie Claire Food + Drink written in 2001 by the Australian food editor for the magazine, it's a fluffy collection of cocktails and canapes. What better way to live my fabulous life than to feed myself finger food for dinner for the next fortnight? Lets go!
The boyfriend and I have been pretty sick during the holidays so missed out on all the crazayzee partying people our age should have been indulging in, so I roasted a duck for us a couple of days ago to cheer us up, and the leftovers are going into cute duck and marmalade turnovers.
It's really simple, you fry up some onions and bacon, add the red wine, duck, marmalade and voila!
Quite a revolting shade of purple, this is the point you will get quite depressed. If you were really preparing this as a party snack for your wonderful friends, at this point you would start crying and drink the rest of the bottle of wine. But actually tastes quite nice. Then you cut out circles of ready made puff pastry (rolled out with the empty wine bottle because you still don't have a rolling pin, deadbeat), tuck the filling prettily in, and bake.
Result:
Very, very nice. Rich and tangy, these are very addictive. I was worried that they might be too sweet, but the marmalade we had is so bitter and disgusting that it actually works very well.
While I was waiting for these to bake I made a batch of Ginger Hearts from the book. I've never made gingerbread before, but compared to shop bought stuff, this is light and fluffy and almost not sweet enough. The ginger doesn't hit you until you've almost swallowed it,subtle is the word you'd use. Quite nice. Also, I didn't have any heart shaped cookie cutters, so these are more like ginger blobs. Oh, and I learned how to make gifs.
GIF animations generator gifup.com


1 comment:

  1. Boyfriend comment... Both recipes were nice. I don't normally like mixing savoury and sweet but duck takes sweet sauces well and this was yummo. I'm also partial to ginger so really enjoyed the biscuits, especially when served on Mr Beardy Man plate.

    ReplyDelete