Tuesday 29 September 2009

Frogs' Legs, Vietnamese Style

I get paid in two days, and having enjoyed the end of the summer a little too thoroughly I was down to my last £10 this afternoon. What would one do with such riches? Go to the cinema? Use it to buy lunch tomorrow? Um, keep it in the bank? No, all wrong. You guys have no imagination. I went to Chinatown and bought a kilo of frogs' legs, duh.
I'm not a nut by the way, I specifically wanted to try another one of Floyd's recipes. I didn't really do the Ginger Chicken justice, and it's been haunting my dreams, so this is make or break.
In case you're interested this delicacy set me back £8.50, the equivalent of chicken would be less than half that, but elsewhere online prime leg of frog fetches around £16 per kilo - so remember, shop local.
And one last thing, in case I haven't put you off food entirely so far, this is what Wikipedia says about frogs' legs:
'Frog muscle does not resolve rigor mortis as quickly as warm blooded muscle (chicken, for example), so heat from cooking can cause fresh frogs legs to twitch'
I'm so glad the ones I got were frozen. If you read the rest of the article there is a revolting guide to hunting and skinning frogs, but even having read that and almost thrown up in my mouth I still want to go ahead.
I'm making a few, substitutions, of course. I didn't have any brown sugar, and I'm using chilli flakes instead of fresh chillies. Almost every recipe I've made so far calls for shallots, I have never bought one, but I swear that's just the same as onions, right? The biggest deal, I guess is that I'm swapping coconut milk for cream, I had some left over from the souffle, and if this goes on I might as well spread it straight on my thighs...
Look how cute the froggie legs look in their individual little bags! It so convenient and I can defrost them with boiling water without scalding them. I'm only using half of the box, so if I find anything else to turn the rest into, I have that option (hmmm, isn't Halloween coming up?)
Is it a cheat to use curry powder instead of assembling all the spices individually? That too is left over from my souffle making days, at least this recipe is simple!
I make noodles like Floyd suggests and pack the whole thing into my lunch box, it looks and smells quite nice, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try it.
Result: How to win friends, influence people, and ruin everyone's appetite at work.
1) Bring in something weird for lunch, make sure everyone knows what you're eating and give them a taste
2) Get into an exciting conversation about all the weird stuff you have ever tried and, if possible, where you travelled to try it
3) Complain about the scarcity of said foodstuffs in your locale
4) Turn the discussion onto something controversial like veal, make sure your view is diametrically opposed to everyone else's, try and heat things up by mentioning any revolting details you gleaned from late night sensationalist TV programs on Five
5) Secret surefire way to get everyone to agree with you, two words - Your mum.

No not really. My mind was kind of drifting as I was trying to think of an appropriate adjective for the texture of frogs' legs. The taste is really minimal (maybe it was all that cream) but you can definitely tell you're not eating chicken, it's a lot more fiborous. The sauce was lovely, Floyd is great. Even I couldn't mess this up, but really frog is nothing special. I would make it again, but with something a little more... readily available.
At least nobody was sick

No comments:

Post a Comment