Wednesday 30 September 2009

Junece Tripice

So what else did I buy in the Chinese supermarket? Tripe! (and fortune cookies)
'Is your blog all about strange and unusual recipes?' someone at work asked me today, what's so strange about tripe? You don't see it much in Britain but I've had tripe before, the boyfriend brought me back a tin from Spain (what a prince, no fancy bottles of wine or duty free perfume for this lucky girl!) and recently I had some for lunch in Croatia, so I was pretty excited about recreating it at home.
The book I'm using is called Traditional Dishes from the Home Kitchen, and I know I've said this before, but I can't believe there isn't a Croatian restaurant in London. Oh well, who cares.

Check this out, bitchez. It was so tempting to get a few more packs of tripe and play 'Recreate the Stomach' (Frankenstein style) but no, I'm almost 24 and it's time to put away the childish things. The hardest part of the recipe is figuring out their crazy measurements system, everything is given in decagrams, no one onion and three rashers of bacon here, but I translated it pretty well, I think.
I had a fortune cookie while I was waiting for the tripe to boil three separate times, it said - Your hard work will soon be rewarded. And this is what I was rewarded with

I think it looks like old torn up carpet that's been sitting in the rain, the boyfriend thinks it looks like a fleece. We're both wrong of course, actually this is going to be our delicious dinner.
The recipe is very simple, it will be very sad if I screw it up. But seriously, what is a decagram, who uses that unit of measurement? Tomorrow I'm going to try and find a recipe that calls for a bushel of something.

Result: Woo, it looks exactly like the picture (except mine doesn't have a scummy oily film on top) and tastes almost as good as it did in Croatia. The last line of the recipe says you're meant to serve it with cheese - no. And it could have done with a few more vegetables, but I'll let it slide this time. Success, I'm the best.
The tripe almost melts in the mouth, I heard that in Spain they sometimes add a few slices of pig's ear to give it a little crunch, but I don't think it needs it. It is a bit smelly while it's cooking, but what's the problem? Open the window, layzeeass!
I had another cookie for dessert - Do not provoke your neighbours next week, it will bring you trouble!
Well, you play with fire, and you get burned...
Junece Tripice
750 grams of fresh beef tripe
200 grams of onion
400 grams of potato
100 grams of bacon
4 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of oil
2 bay leaves
25 grams of tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of chopped parsley
salt
pepper

Wash the tripe and boil with the bay leaves for 20 minutes. Drain and repeat twice. Let the tripe cool and slice. Heat the oil and fry the finely chopped onion, bacon and garlic for a few minutes. Add the tripe and the peeled, sliced potatoes. Add the tomato puree and enough water to cover, stir in the paprika, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until the potatoes are cooked through and serve with grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment