Sunday 27 September 2009

Peach pie

I don't have much of a sweet tooth. I would always have the starter (or another drink) instead of the dessert in a restaurant. I don't get a great paroxysm of pleasure if 'someone' brings me a box of chocolates. I would eat them, you know, out of politeness, but my mind would be on other things. Desserts are also in my experience quite hard to make. And so, with that attitude I am trying a recipe that I am particularly sceptical about.

I believe I made my feelings about William Dufty known in a previous update after I came back from holiday. The title of the book is Sugar Blues, and on the edition I have it is typed in handsome Spencerian cursive just like the Coca Cola logo, how ironic! Ha ha. And the basic message of the book is that sugar is bad, man. Check out the before and after picture, take the sugar out of your diet and you turn into fricking Robert Redford!

This isn't really a cookbook, more like a parsimonious mandate with a few recipes in the back. Imagine a dried up casuist with a Japanese fetish and you might get an idea what I'm talking about, everything tastes better with an umeboshi (salted plum) thrown in. OK? Lock up your sons and daughters! Especially when you hear this :
"I've had some success weaning youngsters off sugared puddings by making a whipped mixture out of stewed dried fruit and tahini"
Well, I didn't have any youngsters lurking around, and as I started making the pie crust I wondered where one would get some...
This 'recipe' was a real mental challenge for a pedant like me, there were pretty much no measurements, which always worries me. As I mix the dough the texture is pretty revolting, the cornmeal is like sand and the whole thing reminds me of the mudpies I used to make when I was five. I also used to eat those pies, so no judgement!
The crust bakes/dries up in the time specified and as he didn't mention greasing the dish I was expecting it to stick to the pie dish (which I borrowed from the boyfriend's mum) which thankfully it didn't.
Luckily for us, we don't live in the 60s so I was able to obtain peach halves in natural grape juice as opposed to syrup, and that was pretty much the only ingredient. Having been dealt a lifelong blow by the 'ginger' chicken, I am pretty paranoid about sourness, but the unspecified amount of lemon peel goes in, along with the raisins.

Result: I am pleasantly surprised. Apart from the snotty texture of the filling I can't fault it. 'Even you have to admit, this is nice' said the boyfriend, what is that supposed to mean?
I would make the pastry crust again, it was crazy easy and tasted like every other pie I've had. Fancy pants claims he never makes pie out of fresh fruit because you're meant to eat it raw, but I would totally put strawberries in the next one.
Good, and it makes it easy to pretend that eating a pie is good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment