Sunday 27 September 2009

Oyster Souffle

My dad has this amazing foraging predilection. Every weekend this summer he has driven to the coast to look for mussels and oysters, and snuck around the countryside collecting apples and pears from trees in parks. Well, I'm trying to make all of that sound tons nicer and more desirable than fishing half eaten sandwiches out of a bin.
Anyway, the point is that we have 3 buckets of oysters to get through. I think he got these in Colchester, and the taste is pretty strong and salty and sea-y. Yummy! But I'll eat anything.

Get this, I looked everywhere for an interesting recipe for oysters. I know they're expensive so most people eat them raw, but one does love variety. So I looked through all my cookbooks, and even (hold on to your seat) on the internet, and there isn't a lot. I toyed with the idea of a traditional English steak and kidney pudding with a few oysters chucked in, but I wanted the oyster to be the centre piece. So grudgingly, I turn to Sophie.
Soph, it's nothing personal, and maybe the Besugo al Horno was a fluke! But I just don't like you.

So, souffle. I've never had a savoury souffle, I've never made any, and I don't know anyone who has. Apparently it's really hard.
Oysters are listed as the alternative to mussels in the recipe, but I'm not sure how 1.35 kg of mussels translates to oysters but I settled for a conservative 20. Which the boyfriend and I conservatively spent an hour shucking, and even though it's cold blooded murder, it's so infuriating that it becomes very satisfying. In an sinister way.

The onion is missing from this picture,
But check out how much the oysters look like a bowl of snot (this is becoming a theme)

Maybe it's my incredible arrogance, but the preparation is pretty simple. Stir this, add that, blah blah blah. Instead of one big dish I put them into individual ramekins and away they go. It isn't mentioned in this recipe(thanks for nothing, Sophie), but I've heard countless times that you're not meant to open the oven door while the souffle is cooking, so I satisfy my feminine curiosity by peeping in though the glass, and... they rise!

Result: Well, perfect obviously. I mean, they look perfect, but I wanted to spit out the first bite I had. Everybody else liked it, for serious, I'm not joshing you. I just couldn't hack the savoury egg fish thing, but I've had requests to repeat the experiment. Either my family are all perverts or else I just have really bad taste...
Frozen Mars bar for dessert

No comments:

Post a Comment