Thursday 17 September 2009

Update

OK, I haven't done anything for a while (to the consternation of my many fans, I'm sure) because I've totally been in Croatia, serously you guys!

It was amazing, the sky was blue, the water was clear, fishes swam around you fricking legs, German nudists everywhere - good stuff man!

We collected some mussels straight out of the Adriatic, I spent 2 hours cleaning them and they were yummo-pajamo. I had pictures but the stupid boyfriend went swimming in his pants and drowned his camera :(




So three things I'm planning to do now that I'm back on this soggy, sunless isle -

1) I'm really disappointed that there are no Croatian restaurants in London. Their food is indescribable. Not in a creepy orgasmic way, but becasue it's a combination of Slavic, Muslim (from Bosnia) and Meditarranean influences. Lots of fish and lots of veal. I had this pizza one night... dude. Who do those Italians think they're dealing with?
Anyway, so I bought 2 cookbooks to recreate the experience. They're in Croatian but I'm arrogant enough to think I can figure it out.

2) My holiday reading was a lifestyle/diet book from the 60's that I got the boyfriend as a joke gift last x-mas. The premise is that sugar is the Devil's crack rock, every problem you have is because of sugar and other refined food. Headache? Sugar. Cancer? Sugar. Car crash? Sugar (yes really). He gives historical examples and cites scientific studies, so it's pretty convincing stuff and there are recipes in the back for a sugar free life. To be honest, I don't really like the guy's mega superior tone and it sort of scared me as well, but I'm eating a bag of Haribo as I'm typing so the effect isn't lasting.
The punchline is, I'll give it a go.

3)The first piece of news I heard when I got off the plane was that Keith Floyd died. It was really sad. Along with the Two Fat Ladies, his is the only tv cooking show I could stand (Clarissa, that means you're next).
I only have one of his books, and I don't anticipate finding any others in charity shops in the near future. I shan't wax on about how great and innovative the old booze hound was, but I'll give his book a go




OK, finito. The Haribos are kicking in, the sugar musta have given me this headache, better go and drown it with some coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment