Monday 2 January 2012

Parsnip and Sesame Flatbreads and Classic Cinnamon Buns

I'm going on a totally-serious-this-time-not-even-allowed-to-have-gin diet this year, as in, the most boring New Year's resolution ever. So really want to get some of the more delicious looking projects out of the way.
One of the books I got for Christmas was The Nordic Bakery. I don't remember why I put this on my Amazon wishlist, I actually went to this place once, but all we had was coffee. I was shopping with a girl from work and she wasn't hungry so I didn't try any of the cakes. Here's a study that proves that what a woman eats is influenced by what other women around her are eating (men don't have as much impact). I always wanted to come back but I forgot what street it was on.
Anyway, we had some parsnips left over from Christmas so I made parsnip and sesame flatbreads. Not the most indulgent thing, but we had all the ingredients. You grate and boil the parsnip, mix into a dough and bake.
I baked these for about 20 minutes longer than the book said but the still had a raw taste and texture. The moisture in the parsnip makes them cook slowly and the final product is just not my thing. Parsnip and sesame is actually a nice combination, but I wouldn't make these again.
The next day I tried the classic cinnamon bins from the cover. The image is actually a little deceptive, it's so beautifully layered that I initially assumed this was like a puff pastry Danish kind of thing, but it's more like a bread roll with some veins of sugar cinnamon. I was a little underwhelmed, but I think these are best the next day, slices in half, toasted, with a little brie. The most interesting thing about these is the cardamon mixed into the dough, but overall I'm not sure they're worth the calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment