Tuesday 10 January 2012

Soupe a la Menthe Fraiche



Day 5 of the soup diet.
I'm beginning to feel a lot better about sacrificing my evening meal to mostly vegetarian broths (maybe if that was entirely true I wouldn't refer to it as sacrifice?). When I was younger we used to have soups a lot, we didn't have that much money and my mother certainly struggled to give us anything at all sometimes. When we moved to London and food was everywhere I vowed never to eat soup again, pathetic peasant food that it was, I'd really moved up in the world. Now that I have more perspective I feel extremely guilty for being such a brat, if there is any justice in the world my children will probably do this to me.
I feel like I have to meet the Aline Benayoun more than half way in seriously calling this 'Mint Soup'. It's more of a vegetable stew, with mint. But let me tell you, after a bowl of turnip water this was some kind of a feast. Benayoun could have called this a mint souffle and I would still be happy. This is hearty, and very carb rich, but the lemon and herbs manage to lift any heaviness and make the soup taste fresh and light. The flavours are wonderful; rich, Mediterranean but with a herby African twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment