Friday 13 January 2012

Turkish Lentil Soup


I bought this little spiral bound book in SCP of all places. My old office was on the same street as the Old Street branch and sometimes at lunchtime I would go in there to browse the prices home wares and occasionally make a small purchase, usually gifts for other people (when my goddaugher was born I very briefly flirted with the idea of getting her a 'designer' baby' rattle - no wonder I can only afford to eat soup for dinner now). Anyway, this book was produced by a Primary school in the area, and a few of the shops near by were selling them. I'm not sure exactly what they were raising money for, but they got a lot of support from local restaurants and a couple of celebrities too. The recipe I'm using is by a parent of one of the kids though.
The recipe is painfully scant on the directions, instead of measurements everything is doled out in 'big spoons', and stock is 'meat water'. I'm using some of my precious veal meat water (smuggled from France but I'm sure can find it on the internet). There are no cooking times and no pictures, but what you do is make a roux and fry with onions until everything is a little brown and crispy, mix in the stock and cooked lentils and thicken with milk and egg yolk.
I was really apprehensive about tasting this, hot egg sauces creep me out a little bit and the colour is distinctly 'mental institution beige'. But the taste is amazing. Rich and meaty, sweet from the onions and earthy from the lentils, I would have loved to add a bay leaf though.

No comments:

Post a Comment