Wednesday 14 October 2009

Crapaud

I disobeyed the master's wishes, and bought a new book.
This little treasure was £2.50 in the Red Cross bookshop, and if I wasn't so tired I would come up with a clever joke about how red and cross it made the boyfriend, but you can just use your imagination.
The cover is a bit confusing to me, but maybe that's just because I've never been to the Caribbean. I mean, all you lucky dogs who summer there must instantly think 'Jamaica!' when you see a bunch of parsley. Or 'Barbados!' when a half peeled orange rolls toward you. Of all the cookbooks I buy, my favorite ones tend to be the specific county cuisines. I know I'll probably never go to these places, so at least I can try to recreate the flavour at home... with a nice bunch of parsley.
In all seriousness, I bought this book because there is a recipe for frogs legs in it. I still had a half a kilo in the freezer from my previous effort, and was tentatively on the lookout for something different. They could have given it a better name than Crapaud though.
I looked everywhere for ground cloves, but obviously there's no such thing. Our coffee grinder went gently into that good night a while ago and I haven't gotten around to replacing it, so crappy pestle and mortar take the stage. Reminding myself how much I hate cloves doen't make the process in any way satisfying, and when that's followed by grating the onion I feel really hard done by.
I let the concoction sit and think about what it's done in the corner for an hour, and then flour and fry. Unlike chicken, or whatever, frog never quite aquires that golden hue. If anything, it just goes paler the longer if fries. Very attractive.
Result: Quite nice. A little like wings, but more chewy, with a pretty mild taste. It would have benifited from a bit more salt, maybe, and you can't really taste the cloves (yes!). The main flavour is onion, and lime juice once you add some. I fried up some little lumps of onion from the marinade and it all goes together and everything. Yeah, I would give it a medium score.
So, I'm glad I tried it and would have it again, but lets not get carried away by the excitement of the thing, yeah? You're eating frogs

3 comments:

  1. Looks great - at least the book was a great deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks guys! Oh and I double dare you to try this recipe (it's better the day after) :)

    ReplyDelete