Tuesday 27 October 2009

Koori Fish

Hands up everyone who's been singing 'ding dong, the witch is dead', you can all go jump in a lake!

I haven't really been up to much except totally overdosing on 'Masterchef: The Professionals', and once you've sat around for a few hours straight catching up on all the episodes you've missed, everything begins to look so easy. Words like 'emulsion', 'albumen' and 'mirepoix' begin to sound like legitimate nouns, meaning I no longer need to Google them while scratching my head, drooling, and going 'duuuuuh?'. And I am inspired to have a go at some aspik ('Aspik anyone?' Sounds dirty, probably won't make it on to my fantasy dinner party menu...), fennel pollen, smoked butter, and all the other crap nobody has ever heard of. One day *sigh*

And then I wake up, and realise that I still have to have something to eat, today.
We have a whole side of salmon in the fridge, and although it's been decimated by my brother's sushi attempts, there is still enough for a couple of meals.
I was determined to not resort to Sophie Grigson's 'Fish' book again. I don't know why I hate her, I just do. Not enough to throw out the book, because I have to admit to myself, it's pretty useful, but enough to feel a fantastic sense of one-upmanship when I think I've 'outwitted' her somehow. It's my birthday in a couple of days, by the way, so maybe I will finally grow out of having arguments in my head with imaginary friends...

So, this is a half victory really. The recipe I found calls for generic sounding 'fish steaks', I presented this as evidence to the boyfriend that I need a few more books, specifically seafood, and I swear to God, I think he said something like "Use the ones you have, or else I'll take them away and then you won't have ANY!". After I was done ROFLing I started cooking.
I used whole cumin and coriander seeds, smashed up in the pestle and mortar a bit, instead of ground. As I was 'grinding' them I wondered if it was too late to ask for a new coffee grinder for my birthday. Sad and pathetic? Yes (especially since they're so cheap, I could pick on up from Argos on my way from work tomorrow) I immediately remembered one Christmas when my mother expectantly tore the paper off a large box and found it full of spatulas and a frying pan. She shot us the dirtiest looks while we were opening our hoverboards or Tamagotchis or whatever it is the young people like.
Anyway, remember the apocalyptic scene I was afraid of when I was deep frying the Coxinhas Encantadas? I said that every time I deep fry something I expect to be burned or mutilated in some freak accident. Well, despite the precautions a paranoid imagination affords you, I was entirely unprepared for what happened next. After cooking the powdered spices for a few minutes I started throwing the rest of the ingredients in and the fucking chilli exploded! My face and arms were covered with beads of um... you know, very hot oil - hardcore!
Of course, in retrospect I realised that most people would prick the pepper to let steam escape, but I guess the authors didn't feel like mentioning that in the recipe, bunch of sadists. Girls are the worst.
Anyway, apart from that little bit of excitement, the rest of the preparation went smoothly.
Result: Really good. I never really make Indian curries, I'm much more comfortable in the Thai subset, so this might very well go into my repertoir. The salmon kept all of it's fishy taste and was still moist and juicy, but after a bite or two you could taste the warmth of the chilli. Keeping it whole releases a very mild flavour (that I'm still not sure was worth the maiming I got!).
Try it if you dare.

No comments:

Post a Comment