Sunday 4 October 2009

Quiche Lorraine

OK, this isn't technically a 'book', I borrowed this pie dish from the boyfriend's mum for my sugar-free extravaganza and I might as well get as much use out of it as I can. There is a recipe for a quiche on it which I think is really cute. Imagine you started making this up and rolled out the pastry right over the recipe and had to guess the rest! Yeah, that totally didn't happen to me.
According to Wikipedia, once you put onions in, it stops being a Quiche Lorraine and starts being Alsacienne, I would have prefered a few more vegetables in it, but perhaps in that case, if I served it to a Frenchman he would die of shock.
I was thinking today about how much money I'm spending to try and keep this blog interesting. I mean, I could make a quiche every week, or mashed potato, or do a review of Delia's egg boiling technique. But really, I just want to learn how to cook. I want to know what my favorite dish is, not just eat anything I'm given, I spend ages trying to pick things off of restaurant menus because everything looks nice and I don't want to pick the like second best thing, or something.
As I'm typing this, the boyfriend is trying to convince me to Photoshop my photographs, they're a bit dull and he claims that he can really 'sparkle them up' (his words), I'm really getting an education, huh!
Anyway, quiche, so simple to make, why haven't I made one before? But are you really not meant to blind bake the pastry first? I ended up using only two of the tomatoes instead of three, maybe mine weren't medium enough.

Result: OK, that picture makes it look a lot more burnt than it was, it's only a little brown around the edges. Maybe I do need to do some of that sparkling it up. The dough was undercooked at the bottom. Tasted soggy, salty and stupid. I have half a pack of dough left, though, so might make it again with a touch more flava. Peace out, blud


200g shortcrust pastry
28g butter
4 rashers of bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
142g cheddar, grated
2 large eggs
142ml milk
black pepper
3 tomatoes

Roll out pastry and use to line the flan dish. Trim away excess pastry and prick the base with a fork.
Prepare filling by melting butter in a frying pan and frying the onion until softened. Grill bacon until cooked and drain well. Place the cooked bacon and onion evenly in the base of the pastry case, and cover with the grated cheese. Beat the eggs and add to the milk, season with freshly ground black pepper, and pour over the filling. Decorate with sliced tomatoes.
Bake for 30 minutes at 200c, then reduce heat to 180c for a further 10 minutes until just set and golden.
Serve hot ot cold with jacket potatoes and green salad

No comments:

Post a Comment