Sunday 4 October 2009

Leek, Mushroom and Lemon Risotto

So I've been at the boyfriend's most of last week, and I returned home to find a gigantic pile of mushrooms stinking up the kitchen. It's the season, you know, so dad has been dragging his wife around a forest to forage for mushrooms. I've seen him in action in the past, when I was still young enough to be told what to do, he would wake us all up at some crazy time on a Saturday morning (around 10) with a bucket in hand and drive us out to the countryside (if we were awake enough we'd be throwing pebbles out of the car window to find our way home by). Anyway, needless to say, if he tried it now he'd be wearing that bucket as a hat, so I'm really happy he's found someone else to tramp around with.
So, to use up some of the stuff he found I am making a risotto. I should say, that I've had really funny guts a couple of days ago, but I heard that this particular type of mushroom - birch boltes are really good for stomach upsets.
I've had these pickled before and they're really meaty and tasty and yummy. Dad also made mushroom stock which I'm using instead of vegetable stock (it's the two pints of tar looking stuff in the background). Other substitutions are the rice and cheese. The fancy cloth bag of rice is actually paella rice, my Secret Santa at work gave it to me last Christmas (what a comedian) and I haven't got around to using it yet, um... because I don't have a paella dish and don't see one in my immediate future. And I didn't get any Parmesan, so there is a shameful lump of cheddar hiding behind the bottle of olive oil.
The book I'm using has been at the back of the cupboard for a while and I've never even opened it! That's about as exciting as it gets, because risotto making is boring. People try and tell you that there is a particular procedure, and you have to get it absolutely right, but they're lying. Just put it in the pan, add liquid, stir, make sure it doesn't burn, and Robert is your mother's brother.
Result: Black. Black like your heart. The picture is a bit steamy so you can't see just how black it is. We had this as one of three dishes for dinner, and this was the nicest one. The lemon zest and juice cuts through the earthy taste of the mushrooms, but is not too strong. But lets not get over excited, risotto is just risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment