Sunday 4 October 2009

Pollo en Pepitoria


This book is called Tapas, but it's full of recipes that I wouldn't expect to be a tapa, so I'm really getting an education here. The authors are London restaurateurs who are childhood friends from Spain. I've never heard of their place, but apparently it's always full of celebrities - la di da.
They don't specify which beer to use so my decision was influenced by what was on sale at Asda, so Kronenberg. I'm not really particularly descerning in regard to beer, I don't want to listen to a bunch of junk about the brewing method. Nobody really 'likes' the taste of beer, you drink it to get gradually drunk and be sociable - as opposed to gin, which you drink on your own to drown your misery. Mother's ruin!
Anyway, personal asides aside, you start preparing this dish by coating the bottom of the pan with an inch of oil. Someone once told me that they find Spanish food too greasy, and it is, it really really is. Well, to be honest, I've made four different things today and I'm kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of florid witticism to bark at nobody in particular.
So you fry a bit of this, and a bit of that, but one at a time in a creepy OCD way, of course, then you put all the chicken back in and pour in enough lager to cover. The recipe calls for 2 cans but I had to use a little more, much to the dismay of the vultures cirling around looking to pick up the scraps leftover from the sixpack. Animals... birds?

Result: Maybe it's my body trying to tell me to stay in my retarded childish frame of mind, but this is too beery, I don't like it. This is really a dish for grown-ups, it's like the punishment you have to endure to get to the dessert. There is a depth of flavour beyond the bitterness, but it tastes a lot better when you mix it with the other things on your plate. Dad suggeted that I use a sweeter beer next time, what's the story with all these tips? And in case anybody was about to volunteer, I don't want to know anything about the offside rule either. It's not that it was bad, it just tasted bad.
But look what we had for afters!

No comments:

Post a Comment