Monday 21 November 2011

Christmas Pudding


It was Stir Up Sunday a week ago, the day when it's traditional to make your Christmas pudding and cake. I've enjoyed doing this for a couple of years now, but don't really have a definite recipe. It's usually full of whatever I have on hand - I think the year before last I spent some kind of crazy amount of money on single use ingredients and then had random dried up fruit hanging around my cupboards until I could justify throwing them away (in the move). Last year I made my own candied peel. This year I dried some grapes from out grapevine into raisins and soaked them in vodka for two weeks.
I'm sure it will end up being fine, really, don't trust cookbooks when they tell you that you absolutely must put 4 teaspoons of barley water in your pudding or else! After eating (and drinking) the biggest meal of the year, nobody will be able to tell what's in the sliver of brown stuff they force down, Mr Creosote style, before they fall into a coma. Ratios work much better. Here's what I did.
1 part flour
1 part nuts, chopped (hazlenuts and pecans for me)
1 part egg (weigh the egg and use your best judgement)
2 parts suet
2 parts breadcrumbs (all I had was Panko)
2 parts dried or dehydrated fruit (figs!!)
2 parts brown sugar
4 parts raisins/currants/sultanas soaked in
4 parts alcohol for 2 weeks (I used sherry and um... vodka)
And now for every 100g of flour you used put in one of each of these:
Small grated apple
Zest of an orange
Shot of booze
Teaspoon each of your favorite Christmas spices grated (nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and cardamom)
If the mixture is too solid add more booze, if the mix is too liquid add a couple of spoons of flour.
Mix it all up in a big bucket, pour into a pudding dish, cover with a layer each of greaseproof paer and foil (or a pudding cloth, obv), and then steam.
Delia Smith recommends steaming a 1-2 pint pudding for 8 hours (I usually do it for 6).

Who do I think I am with my laissez faire attitude to recipes? Lets face reality, this is something that cooks for hours and then ferments for at least a month, if you put nice things in, it will taste alright. You only eat it once a year, you won't remember what it tastes like by January (but it will taste good)
Oh, and I would really appreciate it if you would meet me half way with the following photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment