Monday 14 November 2011

Christmas sandwiches - Cafe Nero


Another reminder, in case anyone has forgotten, I love Christmas. Not so much the Jesus part of it, but the chintzy kitsch is right up my street.
Here's a thing I've been doing for a few years now, and now that I'm taking this blog further away from cooking from cookbooks and more towards random things that pop in my head, I think it's appropriate to write about it. I go and get Christmas sandwiches from all the different sandwich places and rate them. Rate them in my head, there's no point to this, it's stupid.
My favorite all time seasonal sandwich would have to be Eat's venison baguette, but I haven't seen it for a few years, last year's winner was M&S for some reason that I now don't remember. But today I'm starting with Cafe Nero.
I'm not a big fan of food at Cafe Nero, maybe my opinion is coloured by a fierce loyalty to Pret a Manger, or maybe it's because I've never had a local branch, but our new office is very close to one so it's the first thing on my map.

Cafe Nero Turkey, Cranberry and Stuffing (horrible photo, I had already started to eat it before I took it)
-It's very dry, there doesn't seem to be a good ratio of meat to sauce.
-The stuffing is in little cubes as opposed to slices, not a bad thing, but a little curious
-There is a very small amount of cranberry sauce, not nearly enough, especially since the sauce is plesantly tart and not too sweet, with whole cranberries in it
-There is a nice piece of radiccio in the sandwich, much better than the ubiquitous handful of rocket.
-The bread seems to be from some kind of seeded loaf, which I like.

Final score: 6/10 It would be a good sandwich if it wasn't so overwhelmingly dry

No comments:

Post a Comment