Monday 21 November 2011

Christmas sandwiches - Starbucks

Going to Starbucks for food is like asking your boyfriend to give you a haircut. Yes, it will be a hair cut in the most literal sense of the term, but at the same time quite a lot removed from what you had in mind, and not very nice.
I used to love Starbucks Frappuccinos, I remember I was about 13 or 14 and my friend took me and we shared one as an extravagant treat. But as you get older your palate changes and you don't want all your food and drinks to be Willy Wonka level sweet. It's very sweet, and heavy (they do finally sell salads, or Bistro Boxes, but haven't tried one yet).
The only indication that these sandwiches are the Christmas selection is the word Feast in the title, I got two because I was extra hungry today and because they seem to have the exact same ingredients. Also, I got both of these toasted, so the packaging was removed and the photos make it look like I fished them out of a bin.
Turkey Feast Panini
-The overwhelming sensation here is not a flavor but a texture, mushy. Dry heating it makes the filling steam the bread from the inside and since the slice of turkey included is so flavorless there isn't much to experience.
-There's bacon in it, but I can't taste it.
-After a few chews the slight scent of sage from the slice of stuffing begins to come through. There is also mayonnaise, some kind of green leaf and a little bit of cranberry sauce, the combination of which must have made the sandwich so wet, but not much flavor therein.
-The distribution of ingredients is not very good, but since they don't taste of anything that's not a bad thing.

Turkey Feast Sandwich
-OK, this is interesting, the sandwich has exactly the same filling as the panini but the combination is a lot more successful. Maybe it's the victory of the granary bread over the white panini bun. The mushiness of the inside of this sandwich is actually quite pleasant
-The strongest flavor in this sandwich is the cranberry, it's not too sweet and quite tart.
-The spinach is wilty and not nice, a little bitter and stringy
-There is a lot of bacon in this sandwich, but I couldn't taste any of it. I found this so intriguing that I lifted out a piece to try on it's own, and it was tasteless. Normally bacon is plesant, crisp and salty, this was pale, soft and had no discernible salt on it, so wierd.

Overall, 5/10. The only reason it wasn't lower is because you have the option to toast or not to toast

No comments:

Post a Comment